Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A bit of the history

I remember the day like it was yesterday.  Where my dad was standing, where I was standing and the words to be spoken, the words no kid wants to hear "Your mom has Cancer," and the absolute rush of emotions that ensues and the crazy thoughts that started running through my head.  That moment was only a short version of what the next eleven years would look like as the battle with the disease continued, and eventually took her life.

I'm 28 years old, married with no children, and we are starting to plan for the future of our family.  I have made the decision that I will not allow my children to have to endure the same life that I went through.  I am taking a stand to say "I will not have breast cancer". In 2006, shortly after my mother died of metastatic breast cancer, I was tested and found to be a carrier of the BRCA2 mutation, the dominant gene related to breast cancer.  This means that I have an 85% chance of developing breast cancer vs. the general population of 12%.  After discussions with my family, doctors & friends, I have decided to have a prophylactic (preventative) bilateral (both) mastectomy (removal of breasts) with reconstructive surgery.  I'm making this choice and saying to myself and others, I will not let breast cancer take my life.  I will not make my children have to endure a life with an ill parent and all the emotions that come with it.  I also hope to empower other women with a family history of breast cancer to discuss their options with their doctor and make the same choice I am making. There is no cure for breast cancer, but there is prevention.  And for me, prevention is the best cure i've got.  My surgery is scheduled for April 6th, 2011.  I want to keep this blog of my journey and share it with other women.  My hope is that, in doing this surgery, I will not only change my life, but I will also empower women to change their lives too.   I hope to send a powerful message to women to say there IS something we can do about breast cancer!

1 comment:

  1. Very inspirational Bevin! Glad to hear you are ready to take this step. If there's one thing that stands out about you, is that you are a strong person and you have met every challenge in life. Hopefully, you get all your questions answered on your first visit :)

    ReplyDelete