Monday, May 16, 2011

Until I got smaller

Well today was my first follow up appointment with the plastic surgeon.  I have been waiting for this day, since about the day after my surgery.  I went to London lastnight to visit with Terrie, and spent the night so I didn't have to get up early for the appointment.  I have not so hard in such a long time. I was in absolute tears we were having so much fun and laughing so hard.  We went to Dairy Queen and had a blizzard, and then went back to her house and did some Zumba.  I had to quit a little early because my arms were a little sore, but we had fun!  Oh the memories of high school! 

When I got to the hospital this morning, I was met by Nadia.  She is a research assistant helping Dr. Ross & Dr. Temple, two of the plastic surgeons.  I'm involved with this study they are conducting regarding "memory loss after a major reconstructive surgery"   There was earlier research that showed that people having cardiac surgery may have some memory loss, so they were doing the research with major reconstructive surgery.  Good news is, their theory is being proven wrong!   I did a test two weeks before my surgery, and then another test today.  I'll do another one at 3 months, 6 months and 1 year post surgery. I'm not really sure why they are testing the control group so close to surgery, because the more stressed you are, the more your memory doesn't function.  Now that my surgery is out of the way, I feel so much less stressed and can actually think a lot clearer.

The materials for tissue expander.  Thats saline
in those syringes.
I finally got called in about 9:45 (30 minutes waiting isn't too bad for this clinic.  I've waited 2 hours before).  The nurse came right in, and got things set up for the expansion. They were quite impressed it was my first follow up and I was feeling so good.  We talked for a few minutes, then she had me change and lay down.  Dr. Ross came in a few minutes later, and went through the whole process.  There is a metal piece on the expander and he uses a magnet to find the metal piece and them makes an X.  He then puts a needle into the metal plate (I have no feeling, so I don't feel any of it) and then injects the saline.  It's a weird feeling because you can feel the saline going in.  He injected 50cc's into the right side, but then decided that he was a little concerned that there was too much fluid sitting around the expander, and so he moved the needle, and then took out some fluid.  It was pretty gross, but I watched him do it. Needless to say, he put in 50cc's into the expander, but removed about 60cc's of fluid from around the expander, so I ended up with smaller boobs then when I went in!  Oh well, I go again next Wednesday, and hopefully then i'll see a change.  He said he can put in 75cc's at a time, so I will notice a difference each week. The process will take about 5 or 6 weeks, and then they wait a couple months before putting in the implants.  This could mean by the end of the summer, the process could be complete.  Then we talk about nipple reconstruction.

The magnet they use to find the metal in the
expander
The syringes after he removed the fluid
Immediately after the expansion

Mr.Monkey waiting patiently for the doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment